Project Presentation (Powerpoint, 1.5MB, new window)
- A girl absent from school due to menses for 4 days in 28 days (a month) loses 13 learning days equivalent to 2 weeks of learning in every school term.
- In a year (9 months) a girl loses 39 learning days equivalent to 6 weeks of learning time. A girl in primary school between grades 6 and 8 (3 years) loses 18 learning weeks out of 108 weeks.
- Within the 4 years of high school the same girl loses 156 learning days equivalent to almost 24 weeks out of 144 weeks of learning in High school!!
- This is a clear indication that a girl child is a school drop-out while still in school
Background to the Partnership
Rotary is a worldwide organization of business and professional leaders that provides humanitarian service, encourages high ethical standards in all vocations, and helps build goodwill and peace in the world. Approximately 1.2 million Rotarians belong to more than 32,000 clubs in more than 200 countries and geographical areas.
Lions are an international network of 1.3 million men and women in 200 countries and geographic areas who work together to answer the needs that challenge communities around the world. Known for working to end preventable blindness, Lions participate in a vast variety of projects important to their communities. These projects range from cleaning up local parks to providing supplies to victims of natural disasters.
Objectives of the project
- The Project will source for (produce) and distribute Sanitary Pads to school-going girls in their menses (puberty).
- The Project seeks to reduce absenteeism from school due to lack of Sanitary Towels by 90%
- The Project Committee comprised of Lions and Rotarians organises awareness sessions and mobilise resources amongst its individual clubs.
- The project committee works with the local education authorities (headmasters and directors of education) and the local leaders (members of parliament and civic ward councillors) to ensure girls receive the sanitary pads, sign for them and ensure records are kept.
- The project is timely as the statistics show that there are 1,039,000 girls in primary class 6 to high school form 4. Of these, 2/5ths ( 400,000 girls) are able to afford sanitary wear while 3/5ths ( 600,000 girls) are unable to afford sanitary wear.
- From the database of over 600,000 girls, the project committee is strategising to provide one girl with sanitary pads supply to last 1-year in order to reduce absenteeism from school due to lack of sanitary towels.
- The Ministry of Education statistics show that a girl who cannot afford sanitary towels looses 4 days of learning every month during menstruation, which is approximately 39 days of learning each year.
- The project timeline is September 2007 to March 2009
Purpose of evaluation: To share with the government, stakeholders, Rotary (District 9200) & Lions International the outcomes and impact of the project. Financial accountability of the project for Rotary (District 9200) and Lions will also be key. Through the evaluation, the project team will identify other issues affecting performance of girls in schools. The project evaluation will also indicate what worked well and what didn’t go as planned so as to improve on related projects in the future.
Involvement of Stakeholders:
- Girl recipients - Feedback will be sought as to the improvements in performance and significant reduction in absenteeism
- Boys schooling with the girls - Feedback sought on usage of the sanitary pads by the girls
- School heads - Feedback on performance by girls compared to the boys
- Area & district education officers (AEOs & DEOs) - Feedback on significant increase in enrolment to schools by girls.
- Lions & Rotary (District 9200) – Feedback on distribution methodology and whether the trainings conducted have opened up learning opportunities
- Project team - To offer guidance and support in planning the evaluation
- To reduce absenteeism from school due to menstruation by 90%
- To source for (produce) and distribute Sanitary Pads at charity rates
- Enhanced girls participation in education
Indicators of achievement:
- Increased attendance in schools
- Manufacturer commissioned to produce affordable Sanitary Pads
- Importation of affordable Sanitary Pads
- Girls perform as good as boys